Thursday, May 3, 2012

Project Bags.

If you read yesterday's post, you know that it has become apparent that I am in need of some project bags to keep the cats out. I'm not much of a seamstress, but I do have a sewing machine and can handle a few straight lines. My sewing machine actually ended up at my dad's studio in storage when I moved last December/January, and it never made it to my apartment. After deciding that I was tired of dealing with yarn messes for the millionth time, I went and picked my machine up and bought some quilting fabric at Joanns.

I like the look of box bags, so I used this tutorial and this tutorial to figure out how it's done.


The first bag I sewed ended up being pretty tiny and can't hold a project, so I think it will turn into a new notions bag.


For this one, I only put interfacing on the exterior fabric, but since it's so small, it holds its shape pretty well.


The second one I sewed ended up being much bigger, and holds the socks I'm working on very nicely. For this one, I fused interfacing on both the exterior and interior fabrics, so it stays pretty boxy easily.


I haven't made any more yet, but I have more fabric that I have plans for. I think I want one or two more the size of the second bag, and then a few bigger ones to hold scarves and such. I can't decide if I want to go as big as a sweater project bag, or if something like a drawstring bag would work better, but I do really love how these box bags look.

4 comments:

  1. So cool! Good job for your first try. I might borrow my mom's sewing machine over the summer and give it a try. More project bags would probably be pretty useful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely - perfect for all those knitting projects that true knitters begin in such large numbers. I tend to use those little cloth bags that get handed out free at eco friendly shops but these are prettier

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like these project bags, they are brilliant. I wouldn't mind, in time, a large one of these project bags!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love these guys. the fact that you can open them and see inside the entire bag is key for me! they look great!

    ReplyDelete