Wednesday, April 25, 2012

FO: Aphrodite 2.0

Back in 2007 I knit the Aphrodite tank by Berroco. I didn't know a whole lot about fit and customizing patterns to make them fit me better, so I knit it as written for my size.

The results were a bit awful. The "skirt" part at the bottom was way too wide for my taste, and the top part wasn't long enough so the waistband ended up being almost as high as my bustline. This resulted in a very short "tunic" that would barely reach the top of my jeans. That's three pretty big strikes right there.

Jump to earlier this year, where I found the "tunic" shoved into a large plastic bin. I decided to unravel the whole thing, and because I still liked the pattern, redo it with some heavy modifications.

This was shortly after being introduced to the world of local yarn shops, so I actually used decent yarn for this project. This was, however, either before I was on Ravelry or before I understood how to use Ravelry, so I didn't enter the yarn information the first time around. I needed a lot more yarn for the top portion, so I ended up having to substitute a different yarn than the one I originally used. It's a shame, because I really liked the first yarn, but I found some recycled cotton in my stash that I think works well with this.

Pattern: Aphrodite by Berroco
Yarn: Unknown for skirt and waistband, recycled cotton for top
Needles: Sizes 6, 8, and 13 US
Ravelry Project Page: Link

  • Knit in the round.
  • Knit bottom portion on size 11 US instead of 13 US.
  • Cast on the number of stitches the pattern says to have right before the waistband, instead of the huge number originally called for to cut down on bulk.
  • For the yarn overs, only do one instead of two per stitch.
  • Omit the crossed over neckline, and instead do a plain v-neck.
  • Start the v-neck several inches into the bust portion instead of immediately after the waistband.
Blooper Reel:

Taking photos of yourself is hard, especially without a tripod. I tried to take some with my camera balanced on a chair using the timer on my camera. The timer makes several beeping noises, which always attracted the cats. This was a test shot to see if I was zoomed in enough (I wasn't, obviously).

1 comment: