My third screenprinting project turned out much better than the second, but still not without its major flaws. I don't know why I can't keep everything clean! I've gotten a lot better though, and the only critique I got from my instructor was about technique.
There were two new techniques introduced: working reductively and split fountain. Working reductively is where you work in the same screen for each layer, just blocking out more and more area and getting more detail each layer. Split fountain is printing using two or more colors at once to create a gradient effect.
My first layer was one of three I did split fountain on, but its the only one you can really see it on. I didn't want a crazy rainbow print, so I did very subtle split fountains for the other two required layers.
I had every intention of taking pictures in between each layer, but I kept forgetting because I would get in the printing zone and just completely forget.
Here's the finished product. I'm still not good at putting enough pressure when I'm printing large areas, resulting in uneven layers. Meh. At least I'm improving.
In other news, if you follow me on Twitter, you may remember I said I was going to a netting workshop last Sunday. A classmate went to Penland this summer where she learned how to make nets, so she was kind enough to teach the rest of us.
I don't know if I'll ever use this skill, but it was kind of cool to make a little sample. I forgot to take pictures during the process, and this photo is the only one I have of the workshop:
I caught my friend Katy's (we were at her house for the workshop) kitten with my net sample! She looks so much like Othello when he was a kitten!